Each PGY-2 will do a four-week EMS rotation. This rotation is designed to introduce the resident to all aspects of prehospital care.
During the rotation, the resident will:
· Attend weekly Quality Improvement meetings for Nashville Fire Department. During these meetings, the resident will be responsible for reviewing run sheets and providing feedback to crews.
· Ride-alongs with Nashville Fire Department to observe and provide direct patient care in the field.
· Ride-along with the EMS Faculty in the NFD Physician Response Vehicle, used to respond to high acuity patient calls.
· Spend time with the Nashville 911 center and Vanderbilt Flight Communications to understand the emergency dispatch process and radio communications.
· Provide medical coverage for mass gathering events with LifeFlight Event Medicine. Events vary depending on the month, but may include concerts, large races, CMA Fest, and athletic events.
· Optional ride-along with Metro Nashville Police Department
· Optional ride-along with Vanderbilt LifeFlight
In addition to these activities, the resident will have several didactic lectures with the EMS Faculty covering the history of EMS, EMS systems and development, and current literature/issues facing EMS. In addition, the resident will be able to participate in any mass casualty or disaster drills during their rotation.